The readers of Darren Rowse’s Digital Photography School voted for their favourite lenses. Below are the overall top five, with Darren’s comments.
(Plus links to reviews from The Digital PictureÂ and approx prices from Amazon UK)
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM (Telephoto Zoom) (Â£1300) – fast, great for portraits, weddings, sports, versatile focal length. Quite a heavy lens and not cheap.
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor (Â£90) – Nikons ‘nifty 50’ is a much loved lens and similar to the Canon version – for its price and quality it is a must have in your bag.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Â£70) – for its price perhaps the best value lens in terms of the quality of output.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM (Standard & Medium Telephoto) (Â£260) – a step up from the f/1.8 in terms of build quality and results but more expensive.
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM (Standard Zoom) (Â£890) – a great walk around lens. Faster than the 24-105 but no image stabilization.
As a Canon owner I was also interested in the top ten Canon lenses. This included the 4 from above, and the following six: